I ended my day at a panel on bring personal passions to the classroom.
Mike Walsh from County College of Morris spoke about the paperless classroom.
- Paperless classroom
- Books used to be used until they were beat up
- Powerpoint, internet, etc have led to obsolescence of books
- Walsh can get five years out of books in his field
- Textbooks filter out unnecessary stuff
- College bookstores are no long subsidized by schools (profit and bottom-line)
- Book writing is not financially viable for authors
- Supplemental DVD/LMS/etc add to price for students
- Has semester on a flash drive
Harold Kahn from Bergen spoke next about bringing your “cause” into the classroom
- Kahn uses articles about dog rescues to teach reading comprehension
- A cause can lead to a correlation to service learning projects