Dr. Laurie Behringer gave the keynote during lunch. A lot of what she said concurs with our findings on my own campus, but it was nice to hear from someone else as well.
- Students often come in “blind” to student placements
- Nationally, only 31% of developmental math students pass college level math
- Students often don’t have college ready skills…they don’t understand how to keep up with syllabus or check email…they often don’t know they have an advisor
- Students are often lost with one on one advisement
- Learning communities are very important
- Student comments: “I’m just here to get out of here” “I don’t have time to socialize”